Saturday, May 22, 2010

Creating a xorg.conf file in LXDE environment.

                   I came across this new distro today named as pepperminOS It's based on Ubuntu and it's main target is to create a light weight, high mobile and easy to use type OS ahh and to be lightning fast. And also it looks like they're trying to follow the foots of LinuxMint which is also Ubuntu based distribution but it has some of it's own technologies as well unlike Ubuntu which doesn't support propitiatory packages out of the box LinuxMint installs with all the needed stuff.

                   Coming back on to the topic after I installed peppermint I couldn't set the resolution I could use the provided tool but when I reboot every thing goes back to 800 x 600 with out giving me a clue why this is happening. So I decided to do the good old xorg.conf editing but the Ubuntu environment doesn't have a xorg.conf file I had to create one. Thats when I ran in to trouble being a Ubuntu user for a long time I've come accustomed to the GNOME commands so as usual I wanted to stop the X server but theres no gdm service running in peppermint. How the hell I'm going to find that service in a LXDE surrounding. I'd to do a lot of digging around to get to the rock solid bottom and I managed to find a way to create the xorg.conf file as the same way we do it in GNOME.

Here are the steps,
  • Pres CTRL + ALT + F1 to go to CLI.
  • Type "sudo service lxdm stop" to stop the x serve.
  • Now type "sudo Xorg -configure".
  • You'll get new xorg.conf file created in your home folder.
  • Let's move it to the X11 directory "sudo mv /home/user/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
  • OK, start the GUI "sudo service lxdm start"
  • Now restart.
To see your new xorg.conf file type "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" in the terminal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment